Community Internet Café & House Hunters
We are working on creating a space for our community to access technology and the internet, an open Internet Café. Often those on the margins have a tough time finding and applying for jobs, looking for housing, learning new skills, etc. since most publicly available resources have limitations on how and when you may use their computers.
We will be hosting Coffee, Tea, & House Hunters project on TUESDAY 10am until 12pm & WEDNESDAY 12pm until 2pm. During this time, folks are welcome to use the internet for job searches, leisure use, and most importantly… House Hunting!
Our newest project called House Hunters will be meeting during these times. There will be a member of our research/accompaniment team on site to assist folks in need of housing that are currently living outside or in shelters and have income.
***We are in need of VOLUNTEERS for research and accompaniment!! If you are interested please contact us for further details!
Here are some frequent obstacles we hope to overcome:
- Most job searches and applications are online, and 1 hour to browse in a public library simply isn’t enough time to both research and apply for jobs.
- It’s difficult to complete online tutorials or take regular online classes to build skills when operating within a time limit, or from a mobile device rather than a laptop or desktop.
- Libraries often require IDs and/or library cards, which presents yet another roadblock to those who may be missing these items.
- With access to free WiFi, like in a coffee shop or bookstore, one may not have the right device to be productive nor the funds to support the location as a paying customer. These folks may often be unwelcome and seen as loitering on the property.
Here’s how you can help our Internet Café and House Hunter efforts right now:
- Donate computer hardware and peripherals including: New/used/easily fixable computers, laptops, monitors, keyboards, etc.
- Long-term internet service donations
- Like fixing computers? Donate your time to help refurbish and repair used hardware
- Join our House Hunter Team!! Become a research or accompaniment volunteer!
- Donate online
You can bring your computer donations directly to BeLoved at 39 Grove Street, Asheville NC 28801. Pull in the driveway or out front with your flashers on and ring the doorbell; items will be received at any time.
Feel free to contact us with any questions or if you’d like to help in ways we’ve not listed – we welcome all ideas, and appreciate your interest and support!